Friday, December 9, 2016

Invisibly Ill





To Those Who Don't Believe in Invisible Illnesses,

 
Forgive me if these thoughts are too raw, too painful, or too forceful to be let out now.  I am usually one who waits patiently for hurts to dissipate throughout my body.

Not this time.

Not this time, for you have reduced me to a pile of rubble.  A walking panic attack.  An indignant, yet defeated, individual.

Did God create you without a heart?  I have not heard you squeak like the tin man.  Likewise, you have never heard me roar like a lion; for I have no courage left to fight you.  Perhaps we were both born without brains.

I have internalized each hurt endured by your attitude of omission, but I now have a few things to say to you.  Depression is REAL.  Sjogren's Disease is REAL.  And anxiety, for me - right now - is VERY, VERY REAL.  How is it that you have decided to hurt me most when I needed you?  When I reached out for help? I used to have a name for you but it no longer applies.  I know not what to call you now.